Artificial intelligence (AI) has revolutionized the way we live and work, and its impact is only set to grow in the years to come. A key component of many of these applications is data storage and retrieval, and relational databases have proven to be a valuable tool for this purpose. In this article, we'll examine the relationship between AI and relational databases, and why Chromia’s ‘relational blockchain’ model is uniquely suited to integrate with and augment these platforms.
Relational databases, such as MySQL and PostgreSQL, have been around for decades and are used to store structured data in a tabular format. SQL (Structured Query Language) is a commonly used database language and is used in many AI applications that require data storage and retrieval, such as:
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) models use databases to store large amounts of text data for training and inference. SQL excels at storing structured text data and can be used to efficiently retrieve and manipulate the data used by NLP models.
- Recommendation systems use relational databases to store information about users and their preferences, as well as the items being suggested.
- Image recognition models often use databases to store large amounts of image data for training and inference. SQL is well suited for storing and querying image data and metadata.
- Fraud detection models use relational databases to store transaction data and other information that is used to detect suspicious activity.
While several blockchains are positioning and branding themselves as ‘AI compatible’, the reality is that very few of them have the necessary throughput or data handling capacity to act as anything but a bottleneck. When assessing the capability of the average blockchain to assist machine learning tools, a skeptical observer should wonder how a chain that can’t index or query its own data efficiently can provide tangible benefits to tools that typically rely on massive data sets to function.
In terms of offering real functionality and benefits for AI platforms, Chromia stands out from competitors in several ways:
- Chromia's relational database architecture allows for efficient storage and retrieval of structured data, which is essential for many AI applications that require large amounts of data.
- On-chain logic allows for the automated execution of transactions, allowing AI applications to interact with Chromia without manual inputs.
- Rell (our custom blockchain language) is an optimized variant of SQL, a language that is widely used across the machine learning field.
- Chromia's customizable fee structure allows clients to maintain a secure decentralized database without paying gas fees each time they submit an input or output operation on their data.
- Since each application runs on its own chain, Chromia’s speed is not affected by traffic elsewhere on the network, making it well-suited for applications that require high throughput.
The bottom line is that most of the AI models in use today rely on relational databases to store and retrieve information, making Chromia the ideal candidate to augment these models by providing scalable and secure data storage while removing single points of failure.
We have recently announced a partnership with Fieldstream who use an AI-based marketing mix model - you can read the details here.
It is important to note that while Chromia is well suited for AI applications, we are still a general purpose platform with unique advantages in many other areas as well (gaming, NFTs, etc.). As we continue to develop our ecosystem, our list of collaborators will expand not just in the AI space, but across several important sectors. As always, keep an eye on our official channels for the latest news!
Modern society runs on data, and every online service you’re using is built upon underlying databases - ranging from your online bank to music streaming and gaming. Chromia is a relational blockchain - a combination of a relational database and a blockchain - making it easy to develop user-friendly decentralized apps for almost any industry, including DeFi, NFTs, gaming, and more.